关于 WebM 的更多信息请参见 FAQ。
- 开放、创新。 A key factor in the web’s success is that its core technologies such as HTML, HTTP, and TCP/IP are open for anyone to implement and improve. With video being core to the web experience, a high-quality, open video format choice is needed. WebM 是 100% 免费/自由且依据 类 BSD 许可开源的。
- 为网络优化。 Serving video on the web is different from traditional broadcast and offline mediums. Existing video formats were designed to serve the needs of these mediums and do it very well. WebM is focused on addressing the unique needs of serving video on the web.
- Low computational footprint to enable playback on any device, including low-power netbooks, handhelds, tablets, etc.*
- 即点即编码。Minimal codec profiles, sub-options; when possible, let the encoder make the tough choices.
* 注：此次初始开发预览发布的支持 WebM 的浏览器尚未完全优化，因此 have a higher computational footprint for screen rendering than we expect for the general releases. The computational efficiencies of WebM are more accurately measured today using the development tools in the VP8 SDKs. Optimizations of the browser implementations are forthcoming.